Translate

Friday 6 March 2015

Oil Painting

For this workshop we were told that we were going to be making a oil painting on either a board or a canvas.
The first thing i did was to prime my board, I had chosen Brown because the main colour in my animal was brown.
Once I had done that I drew the initial outline of the animal, i had decided on creating a hybrid bird that was mostly bird like but had goat like legs.
The next thing to do was to pain the main body shape in the first colour, when I was mixing my colours they ended up being wrong, and when green but it didn't matter because i could go over it later when I added the next coat.  

I decided that I wanted to work on a piece of board because I haven't painted on one before.
In the image above it shows the first layer of my painting, just under the beak I also added some white now so that when I wanted to blend it later it would be easier.

The next step was to add some of the shading and the main bodies correct colour, once that was correct I was able to add the details, this i had done with a dry brush and a shade darker than the main body and gradually went down the body getting bigger and more faded as I went down.
Once I was happy with the details, I just needed to do a bit more blending and shading this mostly took place at the head of the animal. I made it so the feathered pattern only started after the eye and that the eye was standing out more than it previously did.

No comments:

Post a Comment