Translate

Sunday 16 November 2014

Frottage

The next workshop we looked into was frottage we started by looking into the work of Max Ernst and Wassily Kandinsky.

Ernst creates his piece by taking some frottage and then cuts it all up and then sticks it back together in different places.


On White II - 1923
Oil on canvas


Materials needed: 
 - thin pieces of cardboard
- lots of thin textured materials
- Glue
- Scissors

I started by cutting out two different sized triangles out of textured wallpaper, I then placed them to the side next I decided to cut out a small circle from mesh I then cut a square around the negative space that the circle left, I thought that it could make a nice positive/negative combination. 
Now I felt ready to start making my board the first thing i did was to just position the materials and shapes before gluing them down. i then got some masking tape and placed a strip of it down the bottom left hand side, this is what helped me to figure our what went where.

Once finished it was time to start taking the rubbings, I placed my board does on the table and laid a piece of paper over the top of it then i grabbed a graphite stick, making sure to use it one it side. Holding the piece of paper started to rub the print through onto the piece of paper. 

I then copied this several other times, later one I tried making a print from using printing inks by just rolling the ink over the paper to get a darker print than the graphite would give you.


No comments:

Post a Comment